Who can apply?
Any person or organization that has the legal title to a plot of land and intends to build on it.
TYPES OF DEVELOPMENTS
Schools, Hotels/Restaurants Places of Worship Buildings, Factories, Hospitals, Residential Buildings, Filling Stations & LPG Gas Stations, Communication Masts, Shops/Supermarkets, Car Parks, Amusement Parks and others.
- Submit Four (4) sets of Architectural and Structural Drawings with a filled application forms purchased from Tema Development Corporation (TDC) at the Building Inspectorate Section. Drawings must be duly signed by registered Architect, Civil/Structural Engineer.
- Do I need to submit any additional reports? If your development is a multi-storey structure or complex, you may have to provide reports such as: Environmental Impact Assessment Reports, Hydro Report, Geotechnical Report or Traffic Management Report. You are to contact the Municipal Assembly Works Department, Town & Country Planning Department, T.D.C, other relevant agencies or consultants for advice and assistance.
- The Building Inspectorate Section processes the applications within one (1) week of receipt of application.
- The Technical Sub-Committee meets to evaluate the application and make recommendations to the Statutory Planning Committee within two (2) weeks of receipt of application
- The Statutory Planning Committee considers the recommendations from the Technical Sub-committee within one (1) week upon receipt.
Collection of permit
- Pay approved building permit fee to the Municipal Assembly’s Works Department and TDC on receipt of approved permit fees through a text massage e-mail phone call or letter.
- TDC and ASHMA signs permit after proof of payment of permit fees.
- Applicant is duly informed to collect permit three (3) days after payment of permit feess.
Act 426 provides that any unauthorized structure or structures shall be demolished or removed on notice by the Municipal Assembly.
- The receipts issued for the processing fess are not building permits.
- Building becomes illegal if it does not conform to what is on the approved plan.
- Any applicant who makes a false declaration does so at his/her own risk.
- It is important to note that the validity of a Building Permit issued in accordance with the above process is five (5) years after which a new permit must be sought.
- Developers are therefore required to seek renewal of Building Permit if development is not completed within five (5) years.