The Ashaiman Municipal Assembly was established by the Legislative Instrument (LI) 1889 on the 1st of November, 2007 and inaugurated on 29th February, 2008. The Ashaiman Municipal Assembly, hereafter referred to as "the Assembly" or "ASHMA"; under the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, was carved out of Tema Metropolitan Assembly (TMA). Located on the Nii Atanya Highway, opposite Queens Hotel and adjacent to Mandela Park; ASHMA is an autonomous Assembly, and has full Political and Administrative Authority, as stated in the 1993 Local Government Act 462, over communities in Ashaiman.
The functions of the Assembly are derived from the statute as mandated by the 1993 Local Government Act 462 and the Legislative Instrument, LI 1889 which created the Assembly. These functions, which are broadly aimed at attaining its objectives and fulfilling its mission of improving the quality of life of its people; are to,
- Be responsible for the overall development of the municipality and shall ensure the preparation and submission through the Regional Coordinating Council:
- of development plans of the municipality to the commission for approval and
- of the budget of the municipality related to the approved plans to the Minister of Finance for approval.
- Formulate and execute plans, programs and strategies for the effective mobilization of the resources necessary for the overall development of the municipality.
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the municipality and remove any obstacles to initiative and development;
- Initiate programs for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the municipality.
- Be responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the municipality.
- In cooperation with the appropriate national and local security agencies are responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the municipality.
- Ensure ready access to courts in the municipality for the promotion of justice.
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out such studies as may be necessary for the discharge of any of the functions conferred by this Act or any other enactment.
Ashaiman Municipal Assembly exists to improve the living standards of its citizenry through effective planning and, resource mobilization in collaboration with all stakeholders, to provide general socio-economic infrastructure and basic services in an environmentally sustainable manner.
To develop Ashaiman into a Modern 24-hour Livable City by the year 2025
In order to attain the above goals, the following objectives have been outlined by the Assembly:
- To ensure the improvement of businesses and investment environment, including tourism to the benefit of citizens and especially the vulnerable groups.
- To develop necessary infrastructure and energy required for the improvement in the municipality.
- To enhance the quality of the human resource base by ensuring the right to basic social services such as education, safe drinking water and sanitation.
- To strengthen the institutional capacity of the Municipal Assembly and the structures to enhance mobilization of resources for effective performance of the municipal Assembly